No Bake Saffron Crème Brûlée
10mg of Argyle Australian Saffron (about 10 threads)
400g of pouring cream
1 teaspoon of vanilla bean paste
70g of white sugar
5 large eggs
1 Tablespoon of cornflour
Caster Sugar for toffee on top
1. Soak your saffron threads in a small amount (a couple of tablespoons) of warm milk for as long as you are able, but 15 minutes is sufficient
2. Meanwhile in a large bowl, whisk up your eggs with the cornflour to make a smooth paste.
3. Slowly combine your cream, sugar, vanilla and saffron milk to the egg paste, then whisk to combine well into a smooth mixture
4. Pour your mixture into a good heavy saucepan and place on medium heat
5. Bring the mixture up to a very low simmer (do not boil) and stir/whisk constantly for 3-5 minutes, being sure to cover the whole bottom of the pot so nothing sticks. The mixture should be thickened slightly to a custard consistency.
6. Pour through a sieve into 6 ramekins and let sit until the mix is at room temperature
7. Cover with plastic wrap and place in the fridge for at least 4 hours
8. Remove from fridge and remove plastic wrap.
9. Sprinkle top evenly with caster sugar, then caramelise the top with a kitchen torch. If you don’t have a torch you can place under a grill and allow sugar to caramelise.
10. Allow to harden for a few minutes, then serve!